Objective: To summit the 5 main peaks in the Colorado Crestone Range.
- Crestone Peak (14,300ft. – class 3 w/moderate snow)
- Crestone Needle (14,203ft. – class 3 w/moderate snow)
- Humboldt Peak (14,070ft. – class 2)
- Kit Carson Peak (14,171ft. – class 3+)
- Challenger Point (14,087ft. – class 3+) – combined with Kit Carson Peak
The Crestones seen from Broken Hand Peak.
The Crestones seen from Upper Colony Lake. Crestone Peak (shaded) to the right.
Humboldt seen from Broken Hand Peak.
Leader: Per Frost
Co-Leader: Andy Doig
Dates: June 29 – July 7
Participants: 8 (including Leader and Co-leader)
Cost: Approx. $500 (includes car rental, motels (shared rooms), campsite fees and fuel. Food, drinks and airfare not included).
Itinerary: For the first 3 days – incl. travel day – the main objective is acclimatization.
All hiking/climbing is subject to weather conditions. Good, stable weather (shorts and t-shirt hiking) can be expected. However, freezing temps. overnight and early morning are possible. Snow-squalls and hail-storms are possible. And so are afternoon thunderstorms. All hikes will turnaround by Noon at the latest – or sooner if weather conditions deteriorate.
Participants may opt in/out of hikes/climbs as they prefer.
- D1: Fly to Denver – any arrival time is okay. Stay at motel in Aurora on south-eastern side of Denver near I-70 and airport for easy drive out of the city the next morning. Part 1 of acclimatization program.
- D2: Drive to USFS Lake Creek Campground (~8,000ft) 11 miles north of Westcliffe (~160 miles). Stop at REI and supermarket in Colorado Springs on the way. Acclimatization (part 2) hike in the area in the afternoon.
- D3: Drive to South Colony TH (35 miles). Hike to Lower South Colony Lake and set up camp (11,660ft). ~8 miles and 2,900 ft. of elevation gain. We will stay at this camp 5 nights and it will be our base-camp for all climbs. Part 3 of acclimatization program.
- D4: Humboldt Peak. 3.6 miles roundtrip with 2,400ft. of elevation gain.
- D5: Crestone Needle. 2.6 miles roundtrip with 2,500ft. of elevation gain.
- D6: Rest Day / weather day.
- D7: Kit Carson + Challenger Point. 6.6 miles roundtrip with 4,400ft. of elevation gain.
- D8: Crestone Peak. 4.1 miles roundtrip with 3,850ft. of elevation gain. Break camp and hike out (~8 miles). Drive to motel in Canon City.
- D9: Drive to airport – travel home.
Registration: Please contact Per or Andy to secure your spot. Payment in full by April 15, 2019 must be made to confirm your spot.
Further information: Per Frost (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Andy Doig (email@example.com)